Clinical waste cannot be collected with other types of waste as it may be infectious or hazardous to people coming into contact with it.

What we deal with

Household clinical waste

Our collections are limited to dialysis waste only. You cannot personally ask for dialysis waste to be collected – this needs to be arranged by your Clinical Commissioning Group. You can find your local Group online or ask your GP or the healthcare team responsible for your care for contact details.

Commercial clinical waste collection

Business premises such as residential or nursing homes can apply for a separate collection for incontinence pads. This is a chargeable service and currently the charges are £1.55 per sack/tag. If the residence has charitable status, the first five sacks per week are supplied free of charge.

Contact us to request a business clinical waste collection.

Offensive (hygiene) waste

Offensive waste is not hazardous and does not require specialist treatment or disposal. You can dispose of household offensive waste in your regular refuse waste collection.

Offensive waste can include:

  • human waste (faeces)

  • incontinence pads

  • catheter and stoma bags

  • nappies

  • sanitary waste

  • plasters (minor first aid or self-care) generated by personal use

  • animal hygiene wastes (animal bedding, dog faeces etc).

To minimise any odours please wrap the waste in a plastic bag and tie it up. If you do not have enough space in your refuse wheeled bin for this waste, you may be allowed an additional bin.

If you currently have a sack collection service, this waste can be disposed of in the blue sacks.

What we don’t deal with

High grade clinical waste

We do not offer a service to remove waste of this nature. Clinical waste of Grades A-D is collected by the Primary Care Trust and includes:

  • identifiable human tissue (for example limbs)

  • blood

  • soiled surgical dressing, swabs etc

  • sharps, ie needles and syringes

  • drugs or other pharmaceutical products - you can take unwanted medicines to your local pharmacy, who will dispose of them safely.