Animal licensing

Licences are required for the breeding of dogs, dog and cat boarding (including the home boarding of dogs), pet shops and dangerous wild animals.

See the Licensing pages for further information.

Dog Control Orders

We have four Dog Control Orders in place to help manage irresponsible dog ownership. You will be committing an offence if you:

  • fail to remove dog faeces (poo)

  • do not keep a dog on a lead in certain areas

  • do not put and keep a dog on a lead when told to do so by an authorised officer

  • allow a dog to enter land where dogs are excluded.

Offenders may be issued with an on-the-spot fine of £75 (£50 if paid within 10 days) or a fine of up to £1,000 if prosecuted.

Dog exclusion zones

Dog exclusion zones are areas where dogs are not allowed. They include all fenced in children's play areas and also apply to some other green spaces.

View further information on dog exclusion zones.

Dogs on leads

Dogs must be kept on a lead on all road carriageways with a speed limit of 40mph or less and adjoining footpaths and verges. Some other areas have been specifically designated as dogs on leads areas.

View further information on areas where dogs must be kept on leads.

An authorised officer of Huntingdonshire District Council can direct a person in charge of a dog to put it on a lead and keep it on the lead. This applies across the whole of Huntingdonshire.

View further information in the Dogs on Leads by Direction (Huntingdonshire) Order 2007.

Dog fouling

Clearing up dog fouling applies to:

  • all road carriageways with a speed limit of 40mph or less and adjoining footpaths and verges
  • any other footpath and adjoining verges
  • parks, playing fields, playgrounds, open spaces, village greens, car parks and the grounds of village halls which are maintained by or on behalf of Cambridgeshire County Council, Huntingdonshire District Council and any town or parish council within Huntingdonshire
  • burial grounds
  • land which has a school on it and is used for the education of children
  • any other land that has been specifically designated.

View further information on the fouling of land by dogs.

Report Dog Fouling

Animal welfare service

Our dog warden service promotes responsible dog ownership and enforces laws relating to dog control. Our animal welfare officer can give advice on a number of issues including:

  • animal licensing

  • noise nuisance caused by dogs

  • dealing with lost and stray dogs

  • enforcing Dog Control Orders

  • dog behaviour and management.

Contact our dog warden service on 01480 388388

Report a Noisy Dog Online
Contact our Dog Warden - 01480 388388

Lost your dog?

If you have lost your dog please report it to the dog warden service (01480 388388 Monday to Friday 8am-6pm or 01480 434167 out of hours) and Wood Green Animal Shelter.

Found a stray dog?

Our dog warden is authorised to seize and hold any dog believed to be a stray.

If you find a stray dog during our normal office hours (9am-5pm Monday-Thursday and 9am-4.30pm on Friday) please call us on 01480 388302 or take the dog to Wood Green Animal Shelter.

If you find a stray dog outside our normal office hours you can:

  • call Wood Green Animal Shelter on 0844 248 8181 (8.30am-4.30pm Saturday and Sunday) or 07775 847 752 (out of hours for Huntingdonshire only) to make arrangements to take the dog to them

  • keep the dog overnight and contact the council on the next working day.

If you are the owner of a stray dog that has been held, you will have to pay a £25 statutory charge plus our administrative and kennelling costs before your dog is released. You will also have to pay for any vets’ treatment if your dog was ill or injured when it was seized.

View Stray Dogs Fees and Charges.

If a stray dog is unclaimed after seven days we will look to have it rehomed or passed to an organisation that cares for stray dogs.

Dangerous dogs

We do not deal with reports of dangerous dogs. Please report these to your local police station by calling 101.