skip to main content

Potential Industrial Action - Friday 6 October

Huntingdonshire District Council (HDC) is preparing for planned industrial action. This is for UNISON members employed by the council.

This is in relation to a pay dispute relating to the pay award for 2023/24. If the issue is not resolved, UNISON intend to take strike action on 6 October and commence an ongoing period of work to rule from Monday 9 October. 

If industrial action does go ahead, we will have to delay green bin and bulky waste collection services on Friday 6 October to allow us to prioritise collecting your household and recycling waste. Garden waste collections that were due on Friday 6 will be moved to Saturday 7 if the action is taken by UNISON.

Most of our services will be delivered as normal, and you can stay up to date with all the latest information about any disruption to services. 

Council Tax Support

What is a non-dependant deduction?

A non-dependant is someone who is aged over 18 and who normally lives with you. This may be an adult son, daughter, parent, relative or friend.

Boarders, sub-tenants and people jointly responsible for the rent or council tax with you are not classed as non-dependants.

Does the money paid by non-dependants for their keep, count as income for Council Tax Support purposes?

No, we do not use the money paid by a non-dependant to you. Instead, we use fixed deductions to reduce your Council Tax Support entitlement based on the circumstance and gross income of
each non-dependant(s). For non-dependant couples we only make one deduction based on the gross joint income for the non-dependant couple.

The rates of deduction we will use are listed below.

When are deductions not made?

We do not make deductions for any non-dependant if the person claiming Council Tax Support or their partner is:

  • registered blind

  • getting Attendance Allowance or Constant Attendance Allowance

  • getting Disability Living Allowance Care element at any rate or Personal Independence.

Payment Daily Living Allowance component or Armed Forces Independence payment award

Or if the non-dependant:

  • is aged under 18 - but a deduction will be made from his/her 18th birthday

  • is getting Income Support or Job Seekers Allowance (Income Based) or Employment Support Allowance (Income Related)

  • is doing a youth training scheme

  • is going to college as a full time student

  • is still at school and child benefit remains in payment for them

  • normally lives elsewhere.

Changes to your circumstances

Once you start to receive Council Tax Support, you must tell us straight away of any changes in your circumstances. This is very important where we are making a non-dependant deduction on your claim. You can report your changes in circumstances.

If you are aged 65 or over and non-dependants live with you

If you are aged 65 or over we will not reduce your support until six months after the date of the change.

This will only happen where:

  • a non-dependant moves in with you – and will mean you get less support

  • a non-dependant’s income changes giving you less support because a higher non- dependant deduction becomes effective.

If you are not sure what you must tell us about, tell us anyway and we will let you know exactly how it will affect your claim.

Weekly non-dependant deductions appropriate for 2023/2024

Council Tax Support Deductions - Pension Credit Age

Scroll for more
Income type Weekly deduction

For each non-dependant aged 18 years or over in remunerative work* with a gross weekly income of £511.00 or more


As above but income between £410.00 and £514.99


As above but income between £236.00 and £409.99


As above but income less than £236.00


For each non-dependant who is receiving Income Support/ Job Seekers Allowance (Income based)/ Pension Credit/ Universal Credit and not in remunerative work


 For all other non-dependants aged 18 years or over


 Any age on Employment Support Allowance (Contribution Based) on main phase or assessment phase


 Any age on Employment Support Allowance (Income Related) – on main phase or assessment phase


* working is defined as 16 hours per week or more

Weekly non-dependant deductions appropriate for 2023/2024

Council Tax Support Deductions - Working Age

Income type Weekly deduction

Aged over 18 and working more than 16 hours per week


Aged 18 or over and not working 16 hours per week


* working is defined as 16 hours per week or more