skip to main content
People & Communities

EU, EEA or Swiss citizens

If you are an EU, EEA or Swiss citizen, you and your family are now able to apply to the EU Settlement Scheme to continue living in the UK after 30 June 2021. There is no charge associated with making an application. The EEA includes the EU countries and also Iceland, Liechtenstein and Norway.

If your application is successful, you’ll get either settled or pre-settled status.

With both settled and pre-settled status you will be able to:

  • work in the UK
  • use the NHS
  • enrol in education or continue studying
  • access public funds such as benefits and pensions, if you’re eligible for them
  • travel in and out of the UK

The government has provided details of the Settlement Scheme including what you’ll need to apply and how to apply. It has also made guidance on the settlement scheme available online in all 26 EU languages.

A partnership pack is available with additional resources to aid understanding of the settlement scheme.

The deadline for applying is 30 June 2021.

You may be able to stay in the UK without applying - for example, if you’re an Irish citizen or have indefinite leave to remain.

Help and information about your EU Settlement Scheme application is available from the EU Settlement Resolution Centre.

Local help with making your application

Unfortunately, these local groups have had to postpone any face-to-face appointments for customers until further notice while the COVID-19 pandemic is still a high threat to public health. However, you can still get help by ringing the numbers outlined below.

Huntingdonshire Citizens Advice Bureau

Huntingdonshire Citizens Advice Bureau (CAB) can help with advice on whether you are entitled to settled status. If you are, they can explain how you can do this yourself by downloading the government app to your smartphone. They can also explain what documents you need to verify who you are, such as a passport.

If you are not able to do this yourself they will explain who locally can help you through the process – see also the information about Cambridge Ethnic Community Forum and Cambridge Online, below.

Find out more about how to get advice from CAB.

Cambridge Ethnic Community Forum

Cambridge Ethnic Community Forum (CECF) can provide assisted digital support for people needing help with an application for EU Settled Status through the EU Settlement Scheme. This is by appointment only – you can book an appointment by calling We-Are-Digital on 0333 344 5675.

CECF cannot provide immigration advice on any EEA applications, but they work in partnership with Elm Rose Consultancy, who can. They are a Level 3 OISC accredited immigration business, based in Cambridge, providing the highest level of advice and assistance on all types of immigration matters including family visas, work visas, sponsorship licences, human rights applications, and EEA applications. Book an appointment at CECF’s premises with Elm Rose Consultancy by calling 0207 112 8528.

Cambridge Online

Local charity Cambridge Online is also able to help you through the government’s EU Settlement Scheme assisted digital project, a service for people needing digital help. As with the support offered by CECF, you must contact the co-ordinating organisation, We-are-Digital, on 0333 344 5675 to arrange an appointment with Cambridge Online.

Cambridge Online is not able to provide advice or guidance, they can only help you through the digital process.

To keep up-to-date on any developments, you can register for email alerts from the Home Office.